Lazy person’s pierogi side dish
- 1 (8-ounce) package oven-ready lasagna noodles (12 noodles)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks or 2 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes
- 2 cups small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup caramelized onions
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Sour cream, chopped dill for garnish
- Soak noodles in warm water for 30 minutes, making sure they don’t stick to each other.
- Meanwhile, in medium pot, boil potatoes in salted water until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, mix together cottage cheese, egg, and 1/4 teaspoon onion salt, and set aside.
- When potatoes are tender, mash them and stir in Cheddar cheese, 1/4 teaspoon regular salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon onion salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9-inch-by-13-inch pan that has been lightly coated with nonstick spray, place 3 drained noodles horizontally.
- Spread cottage cheese over first layer of noodles. Lay down another 3 noodles.
- Spread mashed potato mixture evenly over second layer of noodles. Cover with another 3 noodles.
- Spread 1/2 cup caramelized onions evenly over the third noodle layer. Cover with remaining 3 noodles. Mix remaining 1/2 cup onions with bread crumbs and spread over the top of the last noodle layer.
- Cover casserole dish with foil and place on pan to catch drips. Bake for 30 minutes or until dish is bubbly. Uncover and bake 5 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares as for lasagna. Serve with sour cream and chopped dill, if desired.
Make Ahead: Prepare recipe as directed. Do not bake. Cover with plastic wrap , then foil. Refrigerate up to 24 hours or freeze up to 2 months. When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap and replace foil. Bake refrigerated casserole about 40 minutes and frozen casserole about 1 1/2 hours.