English and German families settled the area in the 1840′s forming a small community out of the wilderness along the North Branch of the Chicago River. When the Railroad passed through in 1872, Levi Parsons Morton gave his name to the little stop on the Chicago-Milwaukee-St. Paul-Pacific Line. Before the turn-of-the-century Morton Grove had many prosperous businesses such as Miller’s Mill, Globe, Henning and Squire-Dingee pickle processing plants and the Poehlmann Brothers Greenhouses. Bingham and Fernald built the first housing subdivision in 1891.
The Village of Morton Grove was incorporated on December 24, 1895.
Information courtesy of the Morton Grove Historical Society
Museum Location and Hours
Sundays, 2:00-4:00 p.m.
Wednesdays, 1:00-3:00 p.m.
or by appointment.
School and Community groups are invited to call the Museum and arrange a group tour available by appointment.
Admission to the Museum is free. Donations are appreciated.
Location (not the mailing address):
6148-6240 W. Dempster
Morton Grove, Illinois
Morton Grove Historical Museum
6834 W. Dempster
Morton Grove, Illinois 60053